View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Thou shalt not record! 

Post Re: Thou shalt not record!
I had a longer reply to this where I wasn't going to hold back, the main thing I don't understand is you have a pre-recorded show upload option why would you tell us not to record? The post wasn't talking about recording off the stream (even though that is not something you can police or stop!), it was giving constructive advice on how to just how to record a show from your computer using Stereo Mix, What U Hear, something which people ought to know how to do. The other station I used to be on which I won't name, I know wouldn't have blocked that sort of a forum post.
It might not win me friends in some cases, but like Anne Robinson on Watchdog I question something that doesn't seem to be right and try to get to the bottom of it.

I should have copied and pasted that deleted post so that people could see how humdrum and ordinary it was.

WARNING: The content sounds slightly different

A broadcaster with Aspergers Syndrome

Booking the best of Channel 107 on ReachOnAir, interesting programmes, people & music. In negotiations to resume service shortly!

For more information visit us on Facebook -

[url][/url]

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm

"No, you cannot legally record your show if it contains copyright materiel as it would be classed as 'distribution"

This covers what you would need to do to record a pre-recorded show that contains any form of copyrighted music for upload, or for podcast, that I and many other people here do. And I have no qualms at all about doing it of course!, but the tone of that seems to be siding with the record companies against us!

Booking the best of Channel 107 on ReachOnAir, interesting programmes, people & music. In negotiations to resume service shortly!

[url][/url]

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 pm
Management
Management

AsterickJones wrote:
the main thing I don't understand is you have a pre-recorded show upload option why would you tell us not to record?

This is because it has not been broadcast yet. Once it's been transmitted either we (Reach OnAir) or the artist holds the copyright. Technically you are recording for the purpose of broadcasting the show and not for retaining and therefore it's OK (as it's under the proviso that you will be deleting it upon upload).

I don't want to 'discuss' this further on here due to reasons I have said in past posts. By discuss, I mean that I am happy to answer questions, but not go into the right / wrongs of the legal/guideline system :)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for that reply, although I am obsessed with backing up, I will never delete anything voluntarily, so those recording cartels haven't got a chance in enforcing that.

[url][/url]

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 pm
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

I replied to this thread yesterday, then the forum showed "closed for maintenance" until this morning, but my post has disappeared, so I will repost now.

Thou shalt not record, and where the intention is to distribute, that is entirely correct, recording for distribution is wrong.

However, there is a facility allowed under UK copyright law which is called time shifting, where a TV or radio programme can be recorded to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time. Time shifting is completely legal, if it wasn't, everyone with a video recorder or sky+ box would be in trouble.

There was a recent thread on the forum where a presenter requested a copy of one of their shows to be sent to them, and the request was denied, because this would have been distribution, as one party is providing a recording to another party, and this would not be the right thing to do. I record my shows, on the basis of time shifting, as myself and my family listen again at a more convenient time, but the recordings are never distributed to anyone else. I don't even podcast my shows, which surely is a form of distribution. I would have thought the management at Reach would have promoted the time shifting principal, so that presenters can listen back to shows they have produced, after all, we are usually our bet critics.

So, my advice would be, record your shows, and listen back to them, learn where you can make improvements, but do not distribute the recordings, and you will stay on the right side of the law.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 pm
Management
Management

Hello John,

I'm not overly sure that time shifting applies to streamed internet radio (hence management not promoting it), and seeing as there is no link to provide the evidence, I will have default to the "it's not allowed line", being on an official forum.

I'm also not going to get into a debate about it as I know what we can and cannot do as a station and my personal opinion on this matter doesn't count for anything.

I have not edited nor locked the thread because I don't want to cause offence to anyone, however I have to point out that there is no permission to record off Reach OnAir streams for ANY circumstance, therefore I would strongly advise against John's advice.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

Just a quick one, I don't think there's a distinction about what you're recording, you can record from all forms of radio & TV, if you get the pro version of the TuneIn streaming radio app (it's Android/IPhone/Blackberry), there is a record button, it either pauses the stream or lets you record it. Basically technology itself has now surpassed that rule if it ever existed in the first place, ordinary people don't care they want what they want, and I am ordinary in this respect.
Do you think Murdoch consulted the entire industry before launching Sky+? he'd have been stonewalled.

I'm willing to bet that the royalty authorities won't come down on top of you like a ton of bricks just for permitting the mere "talking" about stream recording on your forum, what are they going to do then? ban you from operating? then lose the income they would have got from you paying your licence fees? if they did that they would risk not getting paid, something that matters even more to them as a first priority!

As Mixcloud, Spotify, Radionomy, the BBC and all the rest are willing to pay, you'll suddenly find that all sorts of new activities are now "permitted". Money talks, and it's only about money.

[url][/url]

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for allowing the discussion to continue, although I'm not sure what the fate of even the last post will be.

[url][/url]

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm
Management
Management

To be honest, I've stated what can or cannot be done and I see your point about the 'what if' element. But I don't / can't care about the 'what if's' element. We have to stick tithe rules, we don't have the power to fight it, nor the money to pay for extra licences.

As for TuneIn, they are a facilitator not a provider and therefore doesn't apply. I can release software as Aaron Beadle Productions to allow recording off the stream, how YOU use it is down to YOU, not ABP :)

However if Reach Broadcasting Limited released it, as we are a provider of a stream in the UK, we would be seen as actively promoting recording and therefore this would be questioned.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Hey Aaron,

Back in college, I did extensive research here stateside with the FCC regarding streaming regulations. While I'm not sure how the rules and regs translate across the pond, I think there is a critical component missing in this discussion and felt the need to weigh in.

If I download a song off of iTunes (legally paying for it), my rights to that song extend to personal non-distributed copies. For example, I could burn that song onto a CD for use in my car, or transfer it to my iPod for music on the go. I could even go as far as copying it onto an external hard drive to back it up should my computer ever decide to crash and burn.

While time-shifting the RoA stream may fall into legal ambiguity, my ability to make a personal copy of my own music for my own personal use is quite clearly legal. And since the broadcast of my music is originating from my computer, it affords me the opportunity to capture that stream at it's source, before it's ever even "distributed" anywhere.

Correct me if I am wrong, but using an audio capture program that pulls its feed off of my sound card's stereo mix opposed to "recording" an audio stream, I would only be making a personal, non-distributed, legal copy of my own music collection for my own personal use.

I can certainly understand your position on "distribution" of the internet stream of this station, and even your concern of time-shifted prerecorded broadcasts, but as a long-time presenter across multiple platforms over the years, I can appreciate the necessity of a new DJ (or even a seasoned one) to be able to legally air-check their own content locally without concern for repercussions.

~ Brandon From "The Music Zone"

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next